UPDATE: Since there is someone who confirming that they can play their backup games with DLC on a CFW PS3, then you can use this guide to grab your DLC .PKG as well the download URL in case Sony ban your PSN account.
So, you want to purchase a DLC from PSN but having doubt that it won’t work on your own backup PS3 game? No worries mate, thanks to undisclosed sources, you can now run the DLC right up on your jailbroken console. Easy, just follow this guide.
- Login to PSN Store with your CFW PS3 console.
- Find your desired DLC for your game & download it on background.
- Even your download has finished, DO NOT INSTALL IT.
- Now, open any backup manager that has FTP or just use Blackb0x FTP Server and take note of the IP.
- Fire up any FTP client on your PC preferably FileZilla and put your PS3 IP address.
- Go to /dev_hdd0/vsh/task and look for the ID of your DLC within the folders. You see folders named 0000001, 0000002, etc.
- The number depends on the order of the downloads, so you need to make sure which folders ID for the DLC you downloaded.
- You can find the .PKG file inside these folders along with d0.pdb, d1.pdb, f0.pdb
- If you have downloaded the correct .PKG of your DLC from the PS3, put it on your USB Flash drive.
- Connect your USB and execute the .PKG file with the “Install Packages” function on your PS3 XMB.
- Enjoy your DLC
You might want to save the URL of your DLC package download from Sony in case they banned your PSN account for running *LEGAL* backup games that you owned. To do just that, you have to grab d0.pdb and d1.pdb files from those folders. Then, edit it with your favorite text editor. You will see many lines, but you will noticed the URL to download your DLC.
At the time of the writing, there are only two 3.55 CFW that can run backups, Kmeaw CFW and the brick-prone Waninkoko CFW.
Disclaimer: I made this tutorial for those who owns their backup games as well as legally purchased their DLC from PSN Store. Kudos to whoever found the method.